Sunday, July 30, 2017

A Tribute to My Father, Glen Lewis Witt - Boatbuilders Site on Glen-L.com

Glen Witt was a great designer and founder of the DIY oat buiding movement.  His Glen L Designs is a classic.  Still on the recommended list for students at the Wooden Boat School in Brooklin, Maine he was often featured in Popular Mechanics.  His 50's styles had a big impact.  His daughter - who continues the business - pays tribute to her father who died in June at age 94.

I have a set of his drawings pinned to the wall in my shop - awaiting the day when  my woodworking skills are up to the task.  - GWC

A Tribute to My Father, Glen Lewis Witt - Boatbuilders Site on Glen-L.com

v

by Gayle Bantuk

I’m saddened to share with you that my father, Glen L. Witt, founder of Glen-L Marine Designs in Bellflower, California has “retired” at the ripe old age of 98 years. Only his passing away on Tuesday, June 13, 2017 ended his work with the company and calling to which he dedicated his life and passion.
Dad never officially retired but for the past few years was not able to come to the office due to health reasons. He designed his last boat (the Torpedo) at age 94 and his mind stayed sharp right up to the end. He was my rock, my mentor, and the best dad a girl could have. I will miss him deeply.
Not many people have a chance to get to know their parent on both a personal and professional level, and I’m so very grateful for having had that opportunity. If you will, I’d like to share with you a bit about this man who is such a huge part of who I am, and who was a pioneer in the DIY boat building plans, patterns and kits industry. Not to mention the impact his body of work has had on the lives of thousands of people all around the world who have built striking examples of his designs, while creating life-long memories in so doing. Many of these finished projects can be seen on the Glen-L.com website.

No comments: